Celebrities in the front row and backstage as Abbey Dawn by Avril Lavigne presents "Rock and Roll" fashion show, held at Style360 at the Metropolitan Pavillion, NYC.

Celebrities in the front row and backstage as Abbey Dawn by Avril Lavigne presents "Rock and Roll" fashion show, held at Style360 at the Metropolitan Pavillion, NYC.

Singer Avril Lavigne stripped down to her underwear for a US men’s magazine, but insists that she is “really shy and quiet” and prefers to lead a quiet life.

The 26-year-old rocker – who poses topless in the November issue of Maxim – said people would be surprised by how reserved she is in real life.

And she revealed that she has avoided going off the rails like other young stars because of her down-to-earth upbringing.

The Canadian-born song-bird said: “I got here on my own. I came from a small town and grew up in a regular home.

“I know what I’ve worked for. I’ve seen a lot of people who have gone a little crazy and who are really into the Hollywood scene.

“I don’t really like to hang out with people like that.”

Asked what people would find surprising about her, the Sk8r Boi singer told the magazine: “I’m really shy and quiet.”

The punk pop princess, who divorced Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley last October, also revealed that she laughs when she reads tabloid stories about herself.

She said: “They usually just pull that stuff out of their a***, but I think people know that.”